Monday, August 25, 2014

Oysters & Beers at a Baltimore Market

I spent last weekend in the Charm City visiting a friend, an ex-New Havenite who now lives in a really fun part of town called Federal Hill. One thing I've always found fun about a city larger than my own is the open-air market; like Redding Terminal Market in Philadelphia, or the Ferry Building Market in San Francisco, or La Boqueria in Barcelona. They are cultural melting pots where you can spend an entire afternoon wandering amongst fresh produce vendors and butchers, shell out a couple bucks for some fresh, local cuisine, and share a few beers with the locals.

Baltimore has a few, including the World Famous Lexington Market, which has been around since 1782.

Historic Lexington Market
I've visited my friend in her new neighborhood a few times now, but had yet to go explore the Cross Street Market, a few doors down from her place, at Light and Cross Streets.

It was just before a pre-season Raven's game, and the place was packed.
I quickly found myself standing at an oyster bar, eating fresh-shucked Marylands and Bluepoints, drinking gigantic beers out of a 32oz. plastic cup.
I ate like 10 of these.

I met some friendly folks eager to share a laugh, and tell me all about the years they've spent pre-gaming at the market much like they were that day. Apparently, it's the place to be before a football game, and the next time I'm in town, that's where I'll be. If you're ever in the area, be sure to stop by. I really wish NHV had something like this.
Shuck yeah!


No comments:

Post a Comment