Monday, September 15, 2014

DIY New Haven Brunch Favorite: Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

When I woke up on Sunday morning, I faced a dilemma. I wanted food, of course, but I didn't want to pay for it and it was already too late to get brunch at any of the neighborhood spots without having to stand in line until sometime Monday afternoon (see this post for more on what that's like). So, I put the teapot on to boil and took a gander in the fridge to see what I could cook up.
Dramatic re-enactment.
I was in luck, I had all the basic accoutrement to make that most basic of breakfast feasts, pancakes. However, I needed more. I was feeling fancy. Youthful. Playful. Maybe even, dare I say, whimsical. But what else could I whip up? Certainly, bacon would have been an easy fix, but I had no bacon.
Pancake batter classic: OK, but not jazzy enough.
I thought about brunch again, where would I go? What would I get? My biggest hankering: The Pantry's Cinnamon Roll Pancakes. What used to be an occasional special at the breakfast mecca, soon became the ONLY special, then finally made it's way permanently onto the menu. And for good reason, too. They savory. They are sweet. Buttery. Sugary. MMMMmmmmm.
God created man in his image. This is that image.
I did some looking around on the computer. Fine, it was my phone. Fine, I was in the bathroom. And I put together a pretty basic replica of the aforementioned deliciousness. Basically it came down to:

Pancake batter classic (I use bisquick)
Hella melted butter (4 tablespoons-ish)
Lil bitta cinnamon (1/2teaspoon, perhaps)
Buncha brown sugar (every recipe I found said 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons, or as it's known by its less common name, 3/8 cup)

Mix that all together until it's uniform glop. You kind of have to mix it a while, to really spread all the solid into the butter.
Glop gloppy
Once that's ready, spoon it into a Ziploc bag and let it sit for like 5 minutes. I found this out by making a 'cake once it was ready, and the cinnamon butter glop was still very runny from the melt-icity of the butter. The 'cakes that came later, with slightly more congealed butter, were way better.

Once that's good to go, put some batter in a pan'o'butter and get it frying. Use some scissors to cut a small corner off the Ziploc to make a ghetto icing bag. Note: this also works well with sour cream for tacos. Using your ghetto icing bag, swirl a nice swirly-do on the cooking 'cake.
Swirly-do.
Give it a few seconds and go ahead and flip 'er. Proceed to cooking it like a normal pancake, and voila! Hot Cinnamon Roll Pancakes!


No comments:

Post a Comment