Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Normcore and Other Ridiculous Words


For those of you who have been living under a rock for the past year, or just those of you who have lives and don't troll the internet, Oxford has just announced a list of words that they are adding to the English Dictionary. While I love that the word of the year is vape (what a silly word, especially when used as an adjective--aka a "Vape Space" for those cruising Chapel Street), I'm a little surprised that normcore didn't take the top spot!

Normcore is a fashion movement that has swept 2014, and is defined as: ordinary, unfashionable clothing worn as a deliberate statement. I'm not sure how just wearing normal, plain clothes became fashionable, but those who could care less about being on trend should rejoice.

Now that I am officially thirty, it seems like the perfect time to embrace this trend. I have cast aside my normal footwear of choice the Converse Chuck Taylors and am now sporting the Nike Internationalist. Comfortable, functional, and stylishly unstylish.

No comments:

Post a Comment