Thursday, October 23, 2014

Blue Apron

Somewhere along the way, I became the one responsible for most of the cooking at home. My wife would tell you that it's because I'm controlling, and that she'd rather just let me do it and than get in my way. This line of reasoning sounds pretty convenient for her, but not so much for me. Also inconvenient, for anyone who has ever gone grocery shopping and/or cooked dinner, is planning it all out.

"What do you want to eat this week," it starts out, when one of us says this to the other just before we set out for the grocery store.

"Yeah, I'll have a 20-piece McNugget, a medium fry and a cheeseburger," it eventually ends, when I say this out my driver's side window to the speaker box at the Mac-Deezy drive-thru.

#firstworldproblems

What IS convenient, however, is the meal-planning service that she signed us up for: Blue Apron. Basically, it's a subscription service like Graze Box, Crafted Taste Cocktails Box, Birch Box, or any other sort of box, but they provide you with meal recipes and all the ingredients needed to make them.

The box upon arrival.
Our first foray included recipes and ingredient for three meals: A salmon dish, a lamb pasta dish, and a chicken with kale dish.

Buncha stuff.
We decided to make the salmon dish first; rice flake crusted salmon, with ginger mustard greens, and miso mashed Japanese sweet potatoes. If it sounds fancy, it kind of was...and I liked it. The recipe was pretty simple, and the box had everything I needed (except some basics like salt/pepper and olive oil). Fifteen minutes after we opened the box, we had a great meal that we never could have come up with on our own. I'm pumped to see what's next.

MMmm.

I wonder if there is a buffalo wings box out there I can sign up for?

No comments:

Post a Comment