Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Birthday Blues


Every year it comes, whether you want it to or not, another birthday and another year older. For me, birthdays are a cycle of shame that basically lead to my expectations getting really high for an amazing day of wonder that actually just turns out to be a normal day with a lot of Facebook notifications.

I'm not usually someone who worries about getting older, but this year I'm turning thirty, which has me feeling rather old and reflective. Am I where I want to be? Is this as tall as I will ever be? Could I be nicer to my co-workers? I have decided that in the next year I want to try to be my best self, which includes:
  • I signed up to be a Big Brother/Big Sister mentor. I may not have all the answers, but I can try, right?
  • I want to live in the moment as much as possible. We all know that life is short, but when you factor in 40 hours a week of work, it really is short. I want to be present and enjoy what free time I do have as much as possible.
  • Try to eat more vegetables. I'm not the biggest fan of veggies and at best eat one a day. I need to expand my palate and eat more of the green stuff. Which may mean less potato chips?
  • Don't sweat the small stuff. I tend to stress about really dumb stuff that in a few years won't even matter. I'd like to let go and just enjoy the ride a little more (see point 2). 
Whew, I'm sweating just thinking about it all! Happy Birthday to all my October Birthday friends, which I believe is truly the best birthday month.

No comments:

Post a Comment