Monday, January 26, 2015

Snowed-In Activity: Cheesemaking

Looks like we are in for a big storm.


Getting to stay home from work is nice, but sometimes being cooped up in the house all day with nothing to do can get dull. Last time this happened, I decided the timing was perfect to try something I'd always wanted to do: make my own cheese. So, I picked up this mozzarella making kit from my local cheese shop. It came with everything I needed, only thing I had to get was a gallon of milk.


First step was to heat the milk and stir in a mixture of the ingredients, including some acid and rennet. I heated the mixture, and watched as the curds started to separate from the whey.

Probably the least glamorous part.

Once the curds were ready, I removed them from the whey and drained them. Pressing out all the extra water.

Gettin' all curdy.

 

Next, I formed the cheese by hand, careful not to over handle it, otherwise it ends up rubbery.

You better work, b****

Then I cool it down in an ice bath and wrap it up to enjoy later when I slice it up and combo it with some carbs for some blizzard night pizza!

My balls.



No comments:

Post a Comment